For all your gardening needs all year round -
My Blog

Your flowers need looking after too

Here’s what to be getting on with in the flower garden this month:
  • • Lift and divide perennial plants now, to improve vigour and create new plants for your garden.
  • • Divide hostas before they come into leaf.
  • • Pinch out the tips of fuchsia shoots and sweet pea plants, to encourage bushy plants this summer.
  • • Divide primroses once they have finished flowering.
  • • Move evergreen shrubs and trees now, provided the soil isn't frozen or waterlogged.
  • • Feed trees, shrubs and hedges with a balanced, slow-release fertiliser, by lightly forking it into the soil surface. Roses, in particular, are greedy plants and will greatly benefit from feeding as they come into growth.
  • • Tie in climbing and rambling roses.
  • • Check any tree ties to make sure they’re not cutting into the trunk. Loosen any that are tight, to allow the trunk some room to expand.
  • • Prune your penstemons now - cut back all the old shoots to the base, provided there is new growth at the bottom of the plant. If there are no new shoots at the base, cut just above the lowest set of leaves.
  • • Finish cutting back any dead foliage on perennials and ornamental grasses (if you haven't done so already), to make way for new growth.
  • • Prune forsythia as soon as they have finished flowering, cutting back to strong, young shoots.
  • • Trim winter-flowering heathers as the flowers disappear, to prevent plants becoming leggy.
  • • Tie in new honeysuckle and clematis stems. These plants will be putting on growth now, and you’ll need to train them along their supports.
  • • Continue to remove faded flowers from winter pansies to stop them setting seed. This will encourage flushes of new flowers throughout the spring.
  • • Deadhead daffodils and tulips as the flowers finish, but leave foliage intact, allowing it to die back naturally.
  • • Apply a layer of mulch around your perennials, trees and shrubs before the hot weather arrives. Use organic matter such as well-rotted manure.

7 Comments to Your flowers need looking after too:

Comments RSS
Walter Smith on 22 April 2019 10:55
I have a flowering at my residence and I was under pressure while taking care of it. I reading your explanation and help with assignment experts, which makes trouble-free for me to be aware of the necessity of it. Thanks for sharing.
Reply to comment

d on 10 May 2019 06:55
d
Reply to comment

best resume review on 16 May 2019 06:09
I am someone who is very invested in plants. If you ask me, pets are harder to take care of compared to plants. The way that I am today, I cannot possibly take care of a pet, which is why I prefer plants. I have about five plants in my apartment right now. I am really happy that I still get to take care of something even when I am really busy at work. I really recommend it for career oriented people.
Reply to comment

Here on 30 May 2019 07:50
I am fond of flowers and decorative plants, and I have planted varieties of them in my front yard. I have to take complete care of my garden, so I remove weeds and trim the grass at the regular intervals. I don’t have to do it manually, because I have a push mower that simplifies the cumbersome task.
Reply to comment

cyberpunk 2077 leather jacket on 18 June 2019 11:51
Here's a good idea. I have to spend some time learning more. I liked this great blog by reading this, thanks a lot for sharing.
Reply to comment

cyberpunk leather jacket on 18 June 2019 12:33
Good article, but it would be better if in future you can share more about this subject. Keep posting.
Reply to comment

Captain America on 18 June 2019 12:45
I came onto your blog while focusing just slightly submits. Nice strategy for next, I will be bookmarking at once seize your complete rises
Reply to comment